Whew chile, where do we even begin? I actually had to take a deep breath before writing this, because I KNOW just how stressful planning for picture day can be. *Cues all of the times I had to get ready for my own family’s picture day (or any picture day for that matter).
As with all families, it always seems like something’s bound to go wrong no matter how much you plan. Don’t get derailed and discouraged —HOPE is on the way!
Pedro and I have compiled ten of what we feel are the most important tips to help you and your family take the stress out of family picture day, and better prepare for your photo session.
- Plan to arrive to your family session at least 10-15 minutes early.
- Don’t forget to feed your child/children before the session (bonus if they’ve had a nap),
- Make sure you have a backup outfit for each child just in case,
- Don’t change your child/children into their session clothing until after they eat (seeing as though we have two littles of our own, we know how hard this can be),
- Only give them clear liquids once they are in their session clothing,
- Bring along their favorite toy or blanket, this will help them to feel comfortable during the session (it’s always smart to have a bribe in place such as fruit snacks, candy or a toy)
- Have a heart to heart with your child/children about the session and explain what’s going to happen,
- Talk to your significant other about the session, how the session will go and discuss what your expectations are,
- Outfits: remember to coordinate instead of matching & ensure all outfits are wrinkle-free. We’re not saying you have to starch them, but you can at least throw them in the dryer for a spin,
- A few days prior to your session, pack a bag filled with items you will possibly need on picture day: (snacks, props, wipes, hairbrush, emergency items, etc.)
3-for-1 combo BONUS TIP: Relax, have fun, and love on your family <3.